Years ago I shared how I got a hold of this recipe here. It's been a family favorite ever since!
I've tweaked it a bit since then and decided that it's best if you double the caramel recipe. Sounds awesome, right? Well, you make it and leave me a comment below and tell me what you think!
Apple Cake With Caramel Glaze
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs beaten
4 cups chopped apples (about half a bite size)
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 cup butter
oven to 350º.
2. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan and set aside.
3. Place chopped apples in
4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon and ginger over apples and toss to coat.
5. In a large bowl sift together flour, 2 cups sugar, salt
6. Mix in eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla. The batter will be
7. Fold in chopped apples.
8. Pour into pan and spread evenly.
for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. About 5
minutes before cake is done, prepare glaze.
11. In a sauce pan, combine
brown sugar, milk and butter.
12. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 2
1/2 minutes, stirring constantly.
13. Poke holes into cake, using a fork or
14. Pour half of the glaze over hot cake.
15. Cool 30 minutes before serving.
16. Serve with remaining caramel.