Even though I like to bake (more than any normal person should) it's fun to mix it up and bring something savory into the mix.
When it comes to making party food, you really want to think bite size and easy. And it's got to have that I-want-more-of-it taste! These stuffed mushrooms are all of those! I had them at a women's church Christmas party a few years ago and got the recipe from a friend. I've tweaked it a bit, but boy, they are just so good!
18 oz. whole button mushrooms
8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temp
1/2 lb mild pork sausage
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 whole egg yolk
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1 TBSP butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wipe mushroom clean and remove stems.
3. Set the caps aside and finely chop stems.
4. In a large skillet over medium high heat brown and crumble sausage.
5. Using a slotted spoon remove sausage to a paper towel lined plate and cool.
6. In the same skillet with some of the sausage grease, saute onions and mushroom stems over medium high heat for about 3 minutes.
7. Add in garlic and saute for 1 additional minute, stirring constantly.
8. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and allow to cool.
9. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, sausage, onion mixture and parmesan cheese, egg yolk, salt and pepper until well combined.
10. Scoop 1 TBSP of cream cheese mixture onto the underside of each mushroom cap.
11. Place caps into a 9x13 baking dish.
12. In a small bowl mix together panko crumbs and melted butter.
13. Sprinkle crumbs over the cheese mixture and slightly press down.
14. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
15. Cool in dish for 20 minutes before serving.
Some other fun appetizers you'll want to try...