Sometimes I think that all of these wacky “National” whatever days are a little much. Then there are days like National Ice Cream Day that I can totally get behind! I mean, a whole day just to celebrate ice cream? Yes, please!
Not like I need a specific day to appreciate ice cream. I’m totally content in just eating a bowl of either vanilla or chocolate, but every now and then I like to spruce things up a bit and get outside of my frozen comfort zone. These Tropical Ice Cream Sandwiches are supreme! Grilled pineapple and toasted coconut add some great flavors and textures to Breyer’s Natural Vanilla Ice Cream.
I have no reservations when buying Beyer’s Ice Cream. Earlier this year they announced they are now committing to use milk and cream from cows not treated
with artificial growth hormones, as well as sustainably farmed vanilla
and fruit in our recipes.
I wish I could claim this recipe as my own, but Top Chef All Star Antonia Lofaso created it when she partnered up with Breyer’s. She has a family of her own and so tries to find fun ways to spend quality time with here family. Other than the grilling part, kids would have a blast making this as a family!
Tropical Ice Cream Sandwiches
1 ripe pineapple
1/2 gallon Breyer’s Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1. Cut away all of the rind from the pineapple.
2. Slice 1/2 thick. Remove the core if desired.
3. Grill for about 4 minutes on each side over medium high heat.
4. Remove to a plate and let them completely cool at room temperature.
5. Meanwhile, place coconut into a dry small pan and toast over medium high heat, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes or until lightly toasted.
6. Remove to a plate and allow to cool.
7. To assemble place a large scoop of ice cream on top of one slice of pineapple.
8. Top with another grilled pineapple slice and press down gently until the ice cream comes to the edges.
9. Roll edges into coconut and serve.