For years I’ve been making the best banana bread for my family. I probably bake it 3 times a month because I seem to have a problem with over buying bananas! Sometimes I make it with chocolate chips and other times it’s just classic banana bread. I really like to double the batch and keep a few loaves in the freezer so we can have it anytime we want.
This year I’m trying to incorporate more veggies into my family’s food so I decided to try adding spinach to this favorite banana bread recipe! It turned out fantastic! I was introduced to the idea when a friend brought some banana spinach muffins over that she just baked.
It might not be the prettiest bread, but I’m here to tell you that this bread is super moist and you can’t even taste the spinach. My boys were a little apprehensive at first, but I told them it was Hulk Bread and it would make them super strong. Sometimes as a mom, we get the privilege to stretch the truth a bit! They instantly gobbled it up and request it all the time.
You most certainly can omit the chocolate chips if you are trying to be a bit healthier. And if your family enjoys nuts in their banana bread, please feel free to add them!
Spinach Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips
Makes 2 Loaves or 24 Muffins
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
1 tsp vanilla
2 packed cups of baby spinach
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar for two minutes on medium speed.
3. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
4. In a separate medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
5. Turning your mixer onto low speed, alternate adding in the flour mixture and sour cream into the butter mixture.
6. Mix until flour is almost fully incorporated.
7. In a medium bowl, mix together bananas and vanilla and add into batter. Stir until completely combined.
8. In a food processor or or blender, finely chop spinach and add to the batter.
9. Stir in chocolate chips. Do not over mix.
Pour into a well greased standard loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes
or until an inserted toothpick into the center comes out clean.
11. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.