I went out with some friends a long time ago to a local taco shop and one of the ladies order their street corn. I've heard of it, but never had it. She politely offered some to the table and I politely took a small spoonful.
It was pretty much amazing and you know me, I was already trying to recreate that recipe in my mind so I could make it later at home. It was super creamy and seasoned to perfection. I can't decide if it's the creaminess or the grill on the corn that makes this dish spectacular.
Sometimes ordering (or trying) new foods totally pays off. It just helps me be more brave and break away from my edible comfort zone!
16 oz Bag Frozen Corn
1/2 Small Yellow Onion, Diced
3 TBSP Butter
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Cumin
2 TBSP Mayonnaise
2 TBSP Lime Juice
3 TBSP Cilantro, finely chopped
1. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add in frozen corn and onions and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You'll want brown bits to slightly form on the corn and onions, but not too much.
3. Season with the salt and pepper during the cook time.
4. Turn the heat off and sprinkle in chili powder and cumin.
5. Fold in the mayonnaise, lime juice and 2 TBSP of cilantro and mix until combined.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish the remaining cilantro and a generous amount of queso fresca. Lightly sprinkle with a pinch of chili powder to add a bit more color.
7. Serve hot with a few lime wedges on the side.