This Easy Guacamole is super simple to make and only has a few ingredients. Fresh lime juice, cilantro, garlic and salt. And of course ripe avocados! It’s tasty and pretty mild so you can add some spice with fresh jalapeños.
If you ask my 7 year old what his favorite thing to eat is, he will get a big grin on his face and say guacamole! He discovered it a few years ago and he has been hooked ever since.
I can’t say that I blame him! I love guacamole with salty tortilla chips, with my beef burritos and on my chicken taquitos. It’s also great with a little scooped into a bowl and covered with spicy queso!
The recipe I have below is super easy and mild. It is full of flavor, though, and a great foundation for adding in all the other ingredients you might like. Add in a little chopped tomato, red onion or freshly chopped jalapeno if you prefer.
Since avocados turn brown fairly quickly, make sure you have all of your ingredients prepped ahead of time. Slice your lime in half, chop your cilantro and take the paper off of your garlic clove.
And of course, you’ll want plenty of tortilla chips on hand so you can taste test before you serve it. That’s probably the most important part of the whole process!
How To Make Guacamole
Making guacamole just takes a little chopping, mashing and mixing. It takes some citric acid and salt to balance out the fattiness of the avocados.
- First, slice the avocados in half and remove the pit.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the meat into a large bowl.
- Slice one large lime in half and squeeze the juice all over the avocados.
- Gently toss the avocado halves with the lime juice to slow down the oxidation.
- Remove the cilantro leaves from the stem and finely chop.
- Add as much cilantro to your liking. I prefer adding an entire bunch for more flavor.
- Using a microplane grater grate one clove of garlic into the bowl.
- If you don’t have a small grater, make sure you finely chop and mash your garlic.
- Sprinkle in kosher salt.
- This also depends on your taste. The avocados are really bland so I like to use 1 teaspoon of salt to season.
- Using a fork, mash everything together until it is well incorporated.
- Depending on how smooth you like it don’t mash it too much. It’s best to leave some of the avocado a bit chunky.
- Spoon into a serving bowl along side tortilla chips.
Will Guacamole Keep Overnight?
Guacamole is definitely something that is best when it’s eaten right away. Avocados tend to oxidize when exposed to air once they are cut open.
Here is the best way I’ve found to keep guacamole from going brown when storing it over night in the refrigerator.
- Once making the guacamole, scrap it into a small enough container so it fill most of it up. You want the least amount of air at the top when putting a lid on.
- Lightly cover the top of it with about one tablespoon of water. This helps protect it from any air getting in.
- Place a layer of plastic wrap over the top and gently press down over the water.
- Top with a tightly placed lid and chill in fridge until ready to serve.
- Freshly made guacamole only lasts up to two days once you have made it.
Have you tried these other recipes? I think you love them as much as I do!
- Cheesy Artichoke Dip
- Beef Enchilada Bake
- Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Avocado Cream
- Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa
- Black Bean Hummus by Your Homebased Mom
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- 6 Medium Ripe Avocados
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion, Finely Minced
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper Finely Chopped, Optional
- Cut each avocado in half lengthwise and remove each pit.
- Scoop the avocado halves into a large bowl.
- Pour in lime juice over the avocados.
- Finely chop up cilantro leaves and add to the bowl.
- Finely mince red onion and add to the bowl.
- With a microplane, grate in the garlic clove.
- Sprinkle in garlic powder and kosher salt.
- Using a fork, mash up the avocado halves with the ingredients. Mix it until desired consistency.
- *If you want it to be spicier add in the chopped jalapeños and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container and refrigerator.