A perfect weeknight meal, this Beef Enchilada Bake is made with beef, enchilada sauce, spices, cheese and crispy tortilla chips. It’s all layered together in a baking dish and baked until melted and bubbly. The best part is it’s on the table in 30 minutes.
Weeknight 30 Minute Meals
I don’t know about you, but this time of the year is BUSY!!! No
matter how hard I try to plan, organize, or calendar activities, dinner
always gets put on the back burner (no pun intended!).
Let’s face it.
Every season is a busy one so I’m always looking for super easy meals that my family will love. Also importantly made quickly and with simple ingredients.
I’ve really been loving dishes that take 30 minutes or less and it’s even better if it can be made in one pan or pot.
This Beef Enchilada Bake is definitely one of those recipes. With it’s
cheesy layers and enchilada taste, it’s sure to be your family’s new
favorite dish. Plus, it’s much easier than rolling individual tortillas
because this recipe has a twist that might just taste better!
Easy Beef Enchilada Casserole
Typically a Beef Enchilada Bake or Casseroles are made with corn tortillas. This recipe originally was from my mother in law and called for 12 corn tortillas.
Even though it was tasty, I never really liked how soft the tortillas got once you added the sauce. The edges got crispy, but the center was always too soft. Plus I was always left with a few corn tortillas in the package that didn’t fit into the recipe. I didn’t like wasting them so I stuck them in the freezer only to forget about them.
Years later I had the thought to use tortilla chips instead and I’ve loved it ever since. This is a layered dish and the chips stay nice and crispy even after it’s baked.
If you like this recipe, give these other a try!
Easy Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Beef Enchilada Bake
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Small Yellow Onion Finely Diced
- 28 oz Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Freshly Cracked
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 14 oz Petite Diced Tomatoes Drained
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 14 oz Canned Black Beans Drained
- 1 bag Tortilla Chips
- 1 Cup Black Olives Sliced
- Sour Cream Optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown beef and chopped onion. Drain off any grease.
- Stir in enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes. Heat through until bubbly. About 2 minutes.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Spoon a cup of sauce into the pan and spread until even.
- Take 1-2 handfuls of chips and slightly crush into a single layer over the sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of beans over the chips and then top with a third of the cheese.
- Repeat for two more layers ending with cheese.
- Top with sliced olives and bake for 30-35 minutes until cheese is melted and sides are bubbling. If the cheese is getting to brown on the top cover with foil and continue baking.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and serve.