It’s no secret I love a good buttered and salted soft pretzel. That’s why I made these pretzels last year because I was in the mood for the hot bread snack! (Pssttt…It’s one of my most popular recipes!)
Last year on Valentine’s day I made a batch and thought they would be so much better in a heart shape. I was right! I knew it was going to be a new holiday tradition so, of course, I had to share with you!
These would be a fun snack for any love occasion and a blast for your kids to make with you! Dip them in your favorite sauce and you are good to go.
Use my Soft and Chewy Salted Buttered Pretzel recipe and use the following pictures to shape them into hearts. Cook them according to the same directions.
Here’s what I did… (Please excuse my super late at night/poorly lit kitchen pics.)
1. Instead of cutting my dough into 8 pieces (in the original recipe) I cut my dough into 12 equal pieces. I found it was a little easier working with smaller hearts.
2. Roll out dough into a long “snake”. About 20″ long.
3. Bring the ends up together, making a raindrop shape, and pinch ends together.
4. Twist the pinched ends together two times.
5. Fold down the twisted ends into the middle of the ‘raindrop’ shape.
6. Pull down the center bottom of the dough.
7. Pinch together the center bottom dough and tweak the top to make a heart shape.
8. When you place these into the boil, dip the bottom end in first and gently lay the rest into the hot water.
9. If any of your hearts have lost a little of the shape, immediately reform them as you place them on the baking sheet before baking.
I cannot get enough of them and how adorable they are! Can food be adorable? I would say so in this case.