I think I’ve mentioned once or ten times that my all time favorite comfort food is mashed potatoes and gravy. Mostly turkey gravy! YUM! I always embarrass myself with how much I put on my plate. Maybe something I shouldn’t admit, but there you go!
So, with the past holidays I helped myself (many times over) to plenty of creamy mashed potatoes and savory gravy. I’ve always felt that when the left over gravy is gone, the left over potatoes are useless with out it…until NOW!
These Loaded Potatoes Bites are a great excuse to make a bit more mashed potatoes so you’ll be sure to have some extra. And to make them even better, they are stuffed full of bacon, cheese and green onion.
You really could put anything you like in them. Spicy jack cheese, sauteed onions or even a bit of BBQ pork!
If you’ve never used Panko crumbs, this is the time to start. They can
be found in the baking isle next to the regular bread crumbs. They
offer so much crunch and really hold up well.
Loaded Potato Bites
2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
2-3 bacon strips, browned and crumbled
2 green onions, thinly sliced using all the white and most of the green
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 large egg
2 TBSP milk
1 cup Panko crumbs
Oil for frying
1. In a medium bowl, mix together prepared mashed potatoes, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions, cheese, salt and pepper.
2. In a small bowl whisk together egg and milk. In two separate small bowls pour in flour and Panko crumbs.
3. Heat about 2 inches of oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
4. Scoop two tablespoons of potato mixture and roll into a ball. Flatten out slightly to make a disc. This helps with the cooking process.
5. Dredge in flour and shake off excess.
6. Dip in egg mixture.
7. Dredge in Panko crumbs. Place onto a plate and repeat until you’ve used all the potato mixture.
8. Cook about 5-6 at a time in the hot oil. 1-2 minute on each side until golden brown.
9. Drain on a paper towel and serve hot.
This recipe is linked up at – The Creative Exchange, Totally Talented Tuesdays,