One thing I usually always try to have on hand is potatoes. Their inexpensive, my boys love them and are so versatile. I once heard that the best thing to feed a growing teenage boy is boiled potatoes because they are really filling. I've mentally pinned that for when my boys are older!
One of my favorite ways to make them is Scalloped Potatoes. Or Au Gratin. I'm not really sure of the difference, but they are good either way!
8-10 large russet potatoes
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP all purpose flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 large garlic cloves
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Peel potatoes and thinly slice.
3. Stack and place them upright in a 9x13 baking dish.
4. In a medium pot over medium high heat melt butter.
5. Whisk in flour and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Add in whole garlic cloves.
7. Reduce heat to medium and slowly pour in milk while whisking.
8. Add in heavy cream and bring to a low boil and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
9. Once mixture has thickened slightly, remove both garlic cloves and add in parmesan cheese.
10. Stir until melted and season with salt and pepper.
11. Pour over potatoes and and cover with foil.
12. Bake for 30 minutes covered then another 15-20 minutes uncovered.
13. Serve hot.