Summertime this year has been such a blast! A complete 180 degree change from last year when I posted about my tough time with my boys. We’ve done most everything on our summer bucket list…water park, plenty of pool time, library reading program (Liam won iFly tickets!), summer movies and tons of play dates with friends.
We are in our last days of summer fun and this week we’ve been trying to cram it all in, at the same time prepare for the start of school. Which has me thinking about back to school snacks and treats!
I’ve been wanting to do something with Fruity Pebbles for ages and now is the perfect time! There’s something about the bright colors that just bring a smile to my face!
I thought they would be perfect in leu of sprinkles on my Sugar Cookie Bars. And I think I was right!
The original recipe calls for vanilla extract, but I wanted something that would pair with the fruitiness of the dry cereal. I used orange extract and it was pretty divine!
Make these for your kiddos on their first day of school and let me know what they think! I’m pretty sure they’re going to love them!
Fruity Pebble Sugar Cookie Bars
Makes about 30 bars
For Sugar Cookie Bars:
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 TBSP milk
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups all purpose flour
5 TBSP butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp pure orange extract
4 cups powdered sugar
4/5 TBSP milk
2 – 2 1/2 cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a standing mixer or large bowl, cream together butter, oil,
granulated sugar and powdered sugar for 2 minutes on medium speed.
3. Add in milk and eggs and mix until well combined.
4. In a separate medium bowl whisk together baking powder, cream of tartar salt and flour.
5. Slowly add in a little flour mixture while beating and mix until just combined. Do not over beat.
6. Lightly spray a standard baking sheet with oil.
7. Pour batter into the baking sheet and evenly spread out.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. Cool 20 minutes before frosting.
1. In a standing mixer or large bowl cream together butter and sour cream until smooth.
2. Add in orange extract.
3. Slowly add in the powdered sugar until completely incorporated.
4. Pour in 1 TBSP at a time of milk until consistency is about the same as cake batter. Not too runny, but pourable.
5. Evenly spread frosting over dough and immediately sprinkle with Fruity Pebbles Cereal.
6. Gently press the cereal into the frosting to make sure it sticks.
7. Best served chilled until ready to serve.