Chicken Tortilla Soup is full of flavor with corn, peppers, onions and spices. Together with tender chicken and even a secret ingredient. I like to serve it with some shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips and fresh avocado.
If you’re in the mood for more recipes with these same flavors my Chicken Green Chili Enchiladas are a family favorite! I also have two super easy appetizers that our a crowd pleaser. This Chicken Enchilada Dip is cheesy and delicious. And these Chicken Enchilada Cups make for the perfect two bit hors d oeuvres for any party.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
I am about to share with you one of the best Chicken Tortilla Soup recipes.
It is actually inspired by the very first time I ever had Chicken Tortilla soup years ago. My husband was actually the one that ordered it before his meal at a place called Salt Grass.
I kindly asked for a bite when he claimed it was incredible. He did not get the bowl back and I consumed the entire serving.
It was so full of spices and the broth was creamy, but the only dairy in the soup was shredded cheese added a garnish. I was a little baffled because I couldn’t figure out what ingredient was in the broth that made it thick and creamy.
Secret Ingredient for Chicken Tortilla Soup
It wasn’t until years later that I was craving this soup. I had created my own copy cat recipe, but there was just something that wasn’t quite right. The soup was super delicious and spot on in flavor, but it was the broth I was still working on.
I had prepared myself a bowl and as I was adding the tortilla chips on top for a garnish, my baby was waking up from a nap. As I taking care of him and his needs, my soup got cold and my chips got soggy. I simply reheated up my bowl in the microwave and stirred in the chips.
Blending in those chips to the broth and soup was the exact thing my recipe was missing. Ever since then I’ve added in 1 cup of finely crushed tortilla chips to my tortilla soup and it’s made all the difference in the world. That was the creaminess that I thought was in that first soup I ever tasted.
What Are The Ingredients In Chicken Tortilla Soup?
This soup is made with every day ingredients and most of them I bet you already have on hand.
- Bell Pepper
- Chicken Stock
- Tortilla Chips
- Green Chilies
What Spices Are In Chicken Tortilla Soup?
- Chili Powder
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- In a large pot saute your chopped vegetables in butter until tender.
- Add in garlic and spices and cook for 30 seconds to bring out the flavors.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook for 1 minutes. This will help thicken the soup.
- Slowly stir in stock and vigorously whisk as you are pouring. Add a little stock at a time to prevent clumping.
- Bring it to a boil and cook for 1 minute. It will thicken as it cooks.
- Stir in corn, chicken, tortilla chips, tomatoes and chilies. Bring back to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and add in cilantro. Cook for another minute and serve.
- Garnish with avocado, tortilla chips, shredded cheese and jalapeno slices.
I’d love it if you’d check out these other great recipes!
- Easy Chili
- Sesame Chicken
- Caramel Apple Cake
- Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Lemon Raspberry Scones
- Orange Glazed Pork Tenderloin by Your Home Based Mom
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 TBSP Butter Divided
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 2 Large Carrots Peeled and Diced
- 2 Celery Stalks Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Stem Removed and Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 tsp Freshly Cracked Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 TBSP Chili Powder
- 3 TBSP All Purpose Flour
- 8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Chicken Breasts Cooked and Shredded
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn Thawed
- 14.5 oz Petite Diced Tomatoes Drained
- 4 oz Diced Green Chilies
- 1 Cup Crushed Tortilla Chips
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro Chopped
- Avocado Sliced
- Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Jalapeno Sliced
- In a large heavy bottom pot melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat.
- Saute onions, carrots, celery and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir frequently.
- Add in garlic, pepper, salt, cumin and chili powder. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in remaining butter and let it melt a little.
- Sprinkling in flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute to cook out any of the raw flour taste.
- Slowly stir in a cup of broth at a time and whisk vigorously to prevent clumps from forming.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken, corn, tomatoes, chilies and crushed tortilla chips and bring to boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce eat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with avocado, tortilla chips, shredded cheese and jalapeno slices if desired.