How to pick the perfect watermelon doesn’t need to be difficult. With these simple methods you can choose the most sweet and crisp watermelons every single time.
Watermelon is wonderful on it’s own, but if you are looking for some recipes to serve along with it, I’ve got you covered! Classic Potato Salad is also a summer staple and I’ve got the best version. Crispy Chicken Taquitos make for a super simple lunch. If you just need a bit more of a snack with this juicy melon, be sure to try my Cowboy Caviar.
At the end of spring my grocery store starts stocking up on watermelons. Living in Texas we tend to get some produce earlier than others. I always wait until June to buy them because an early crop isn’t always the tastiest.
How Do You Tell If A Watermelon Is Ripe?
Picking a watermelon can be a little daunting. There are a lot factors when finding the most sweet and crisp melon. It’s hard because you can’t see the inside, but there are ways to detect the perfect watermelon.
All you need to use is sight, sound and feel and I’m going to walk you through each one. You’ll feel confident walking into the grocery store and excited as you cut into the fruit.
- The first thing you need to is look for a large yellow spot on the melon. This is where the watermelon has been sitting on the ground ripening. A slow grow is best because it allows for it to become more sweet.
- It’s okay if there are “scars” on the rind. Those don’t affect the taste.
- You might also see black bead like spots on it towards the ends. These are kind of rare, but they mean the watermelon will be sweet.
- You’ll also want to look for distinguished dark green and light green stripes. The darker the green the better.
- Next, comes the sound of the melon. You want to actually knock on the melon. You’re going to feel like a fool at first, but if it means you’re going to get a crisp and sweet watermelon, it’s worth the looks you might get by other shoppers.
- The sound you are looking for is a hollow sound. Think of it like this. Picture a large storage tote with a lid filled with blankets. What would it sound like if you knocked on it. Very dull and muffled. Remove those blankets and knock on it again. It will sound very hollow and full.
- Lastly, you will need to pick up the watermelon. It should feel very heavy. The heavier it is the more water it contains. If it’s light in weight it will be very mealy and mushy.
How To Pick The Best Watermelon
Using these methods will ensure that you pick the perfect watermelon. It’s only a short season, but you won’t ever have to wonder if it’s a good fruit or not.
Here are some wonderful recipes to try that I know you and your family will love.
- Easy Fruit Salad
- Street Corn
- French Dip Sandwiches
- Blueberry Shortcakes
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Oh So Deliciouso
- The first thing you need to is look for a large yellow spot on the melon.
- You'll also want to look for distinguished dark green and light green stripes. The darker the green the better.
- Next, comes the sound of the melon. You want to actually knock on the melon. The sound you are looking for is a hollow sound.
- Lastly, you will need to pick up the watermelon. It should feel very heavy. The heavier it is the more water it contains. If it's light in weight it will be very mealy and mushy.