Peanut Butter cookies really remind me of my childhood. Even though this is not the recipe I grew up with, every time I make these I’m taken back to my 6 year old self and sitting in the kitchen with my mom.
What is a baked good you remember from your childhood?
I know make these with my boys and they really like them. They are no Big and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie, but they also sure don’t stick around long in my cookie jar.
How To Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Making peanut butter cookies is truly simple and once you’ve got the hang of it, you’ll be making them all the time.
- Make peanut butter cookie dough according to directions below. Some recipes call for adding in the peanut butter right before the flour, but I like to cream mine with the butter and sugars.
- Roll your dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. I really like to use a cookie scoop whenever I am making cookies. It helps created even sized cookies and just makes the whole process a little quicker.
- Roll each dough ball into granulated sugar. When I’m measuring out my ingredients I grab a small bowl to pour my 1/3 cup of sugar into. Then it’s ready for when I’m at this step in the recipe.
- A classic peanut butter cookie typically has some sort of criss cross pattern on it. You do this for a couple of reasons. By pressing the tines of a fork on the top it helps push down the cookie dough so the cookie will bake evenly. It also creates a fun decoration on the cookie. No Plain Janes here.
- Instead of using the tines of a fork, I like to use the curved side of the fork to make a criss cross pattern to mix it up a bit. Gently press to make an indentation, but not deep enough to cut through the cookie dough.
- The best tip I can give you when it comes to baking any cookie is to slightly under bake it. Even by 30 seconds. A slightly crispy edge with a tender center makes for the best cookies ever.
I have a quite a few cookie recipes on my site, but here are few to get you started!
Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Peanut Butter Cookie
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened
- 1 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar, Divided
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and peanut butter.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Stir in baking soda, salt and flour and combine until just incorporated.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. *I use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop to make sure all cookies are the same size.
- Roll each dough ball in remaining 1/3 cup sugar and place onto a cookie sheet. 12 per cookie sheet evenly spaced out.
- Use the side of a fork to make indented lines on top of the cookie creating a criss cross pattern.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. You only want a hint of golden brown on top.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Once cooled store in an airtight container.